Shalom rav l'kulam!
Well, where to begin? It has been a packed summer so far - Rolling Stones' concert in Tel Aviv, 1 recital, 1 wedding (not my own), Monty Python Live, opera overload, balagan in the Motherland, 1 Bavarian castle, and 4 countries in less than 2 months!
At the end of June, my sister came for a much-anticipated trip to Israel - she hadn't been back since our Birthright trip 4 years ago. We spent our time stuffing our faces with watermelon (not an exaggeration) and rehearsing for a joint recital. After only 2 rehearsals, we gave a small recital at my teacher's house of arias and art song (Youtube link coming soon!). June also saw the end of my improvisation workshop and we gave a short "performance" along with the members of the other workshops (directing and musical theater). We had a massive "Golden Bird" moment where we had all agreed to play one game but somebody had never played it before and suddenly switched to a different game! But we just kept breathing and carried on like pros. Improvisation has really changed my perspective on collaboration and life in general. It is so much easier to "yes, and..." everything than to resist! I am really looking forward to the next workshop.
After the recital, Adriana and I headed to Oxford for our friend Rachel's wedding. It was truly an international affair - one bride from America, one from England, guests from both sides of the ocean, and mostly German musicians playing Irish folk music during the reception! I had my first experience with Irish dancing, which involves a lot of stomping, clapping, and whopping. I am going to have to wear better stomping shoes next time...the floor was way too slippery for heels! Adriana and I also scandalized some of the guests by some free-style choreography on the dance floor, including a literal dance version of Blink 182's "All the Small Things" (heavily influenced by the music video). England will never be the same.
After Oxford, we invaded London for Monty Python's live show at the O2. We had been secretly nervous that the online tickets weren't actually valid, but we got in without any problems! It was surreal to be in the same room as the Pythons (and Stephen Fry!!!). The guys kept cracking up and the more they did, the more the audience loved it. I have never felt such energy in a place, it was almost overwhelming how much palpable love was in the air.
Next on the itinerary was Munich for my long-awaited opera program. Adriana returned to the States to resume her fantastic free-lance life and I braced myself for a month of opera and living with singers again (not for the faint of heart!). I will write more about the program in its own post, since there is much to write!
In the meantime, know that I am safe and well in Munich. I have decided to stay here for another month to give the Middle East some time to sort itself out. I am currently waiting in a hostel lobby until I can check into my next accommodation. Ah, the life of the gypsy singer...
I hope that you're all having lovely summers!
Mozartkugeln und Johannesbeeren,
Daniella