Friday, October 12, 2012

Strictly visual...

I thought I'd balance my lengthy posts with a blog of mostly pictures...

This is the view out of our window looking out across King George Street.  I didn't put in a picture of the actual street because that would mean that you'd see our roof and its many water heater fixtures and dead patches of grass...
   


 One of the few Tel Aviv inhabitants that I saw when I ventured out on Simchat Torah. Can you spot the katul-tje?
 

A few minutes away from Carmel - I'd lost track of street names at this point, but everything was deserted because of the holiday. I love this sky :)

When Carmel was finally opened again, I stocked up on: olive oil, the mother of all ginger roots, garlic, tomatoes, lemons, celery, ruccola, cilantro, mint, GIANT basil, carrots, tiny eggplants (that actually look like eggs!),  green beans (slightly past their prime, but then again the vendor had an open bottle of beer with him, so maybe he just doesn't care?), and walnuts! Here they are displayed on my eyesore of a [free] blanket....

A tasty breakfast: omelet, smoked salmon, quinoa (instead of bread), the Israeli idea of cream cheese, some kind of unidentified mustard that was very garlicky, and fresh carrot juice! The Danish in the background belongs to Andrea, another girl in my program from Costa Rica. We needed sustenance after our Ulpan adventure.
( I say adventure because there was no way that we could have taken either version of the test because it was written entirely in Hebrew. I think they just wanted to make sure that we really didn't know Hebrew... The proctor (?) said to tell the secretaries that we needed to take Beginner's Hebrew. First, the secretary told us they didn't have any Beginner's classes, but then she called our program coordinator who said, actually, yes there is a class in November. Now, why couldn't they have just told us that from the beginning, since they knew that we weren't fluent in Hebrew? I'm just glad that I didn't try to study for the test.... Andrea and I are going to start learning on our own - I bought a Hebrew dictionary for children today in preparation.)

 Tree-lined pedestrian (and biker) boulevard just up the road from me :)

I love these tree trunks... 

That's all for now!

Shabbat shalom,

Daniella